Contribute to student success with a career at Pikes Peak Community College!
Thank you for your interest in employment at Pikes Peak Community College! Please view a list of current opportunities below.
Human Resource Services
Tracking Code: 492358
Work Type: Full-time
Categories: Administration, Professional and Technical (APT)
The Accounting Specialist exists to provide support to Financial Services with responsibilities for travel and official/training function disbursements, sales tax functions, petty cash audits, state travel cards, bookstore inventory entries, contract logs, record retention, and payroll entries.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from a regionally accredited institution OR
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or Finance plus two years of professional level experience performing similar duties to those described for this position.
- Experience with travel reimbursements.
- Experience with journal entries.
- Experience with sales tax.
- Experience in a Higher Education setting.
Salary is $3,833.33 gross per month. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 8, 2019. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Application Process: Please submit electronically a cover letter, resume, transcripts (unofficial), and the names and contact information of three recent job-related references who can address your expertise and background for this position. The cover letter must specifically address each of the qualifications listed under Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications in the exact same order in which they are listed in this announcement.
This position may be eligible for a variety of employee benefits and additional perks. Information may be reviewed at https://www.cccs.edu/employee-resources/employee-benefits/ and https://www.ppcc.edu/human-resource-services/benefits/additional-perks.
Interviews will be conducted in-person.
Note: Prior submission of application materials will not be considered.
- Travel and Official/Training functions: Review and process all official/training functions and travel reimbursements. Verify that all reimbursements are allowed expenses in accordance with PPCC procedures, CCCS policies, State Fiscal Rules and the State Travel Management System. Facilitate all requests for travel credit cards. Provide guidance and departmental training regarding appropriate and inappropriate expenses.
- Sales Tax: Compute sales tax on a monthly basis. Analyze revenue and actual collected tax dollars. Research and correct discrepancies. Compile supporting schedules with detailed sales activity. File tax returns and remit payments online to the State of Colorado and the City of Colorado Springs. Calculate allowable vendor fee commission to the appropriate revenue accounts. Prepare journal entry to record all applicable sales tax activity. Apply, renew, or distribute sales tax licenses. Maintain documentation following records retention policy.
- Journal entries: Complete all journal entries as required in a timely and accurate manner. Download payroll extract reports and process entries for all bi-weekly/monthly payrolls. Reconcile and verify account balances. Record student loan transfers and prepare documentation for the wire transfer and related journal entries. Calculate monthly bookstore inventory adjustment and associated journal entry. Review all club balances and determine the reversion of funds between Student Government and student clubs. Prepare the journal entry to record all reversions. Scan journal entries into financial reporting system.
- State Financial System: Prepare state accounting reports as required. Process state accounting system entries. Compare state accounting entries to internal financial reporting system entries. Assist Accounting Manager with monthly summary and reconciliation.
- Contract Files: Log and maintain high volume of Contract Files that route through the Financial Services office.
- Petty cash/change fund audits: Audit change fund/petty cash funds that are maintained by various college departments, as per Financial Services procedures.
- Other: Process office orders via procurement card. College projects, committees, and other strategic tasks as assigned.
General Duties, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Cultural competence and demonstrated evidence, understanding, and commitment to the concepts of diversity, multiculturalism, and their application in the workplace.
- Adhere to college, system and state policies and procedures.
- Strong customer service skills and relationship building techniques.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel to multiple campuses to support department needs.
- Maintain confidentiality while working effectively with all constituents.
- Manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting critical deadlines.
- Employ judgment and analytical skills related to Financial Services functions.
- Encourage a collaborative and team based environment.
- Work effectively with students, faculty, and staff and outside agencies; relate to people of various cultural backgrounds, communication styles, abilities and appearances and help staff do the same.
- Generate required department reports periodically.
- Work independently as well as work in a team setting.
- Attend various department and college wide meetings as scheduled.
- Communicate effectively in verbal and written formats.
- Ability to identify and implement imaginative and entrepreneurial solutions to complex problems.
This job description reflects Pikes Peak Community College’s best effort to describe the essential duties and qualifications of the job. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation.
EEO Statement: Pikes Peak Community College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act institution. We value diversity, strive for a more unified campus where all people are valued, treated fairly, and possess a sense of belonging. Pikes Peak Community College encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
Advertised: Mountain Daylight Time